Image result for Picture of East Kennet Church

   Christ Church,    East Kennett   

                                                           SN8 4EY                                                                          

CHURCHWARDENS        TREASURER         SECRETARY         SERVICES      FUTURE SPECIAL SERVICES 
 HISTORY    
LITERARY EVENING

CHURCHWARDENS

Mr Graham Kitchen  Tel. 01672 861349   Email  graham@grahamkitchen.com

Mrs Jo Snape  Tel.   01672 861267   Email   Josiesnape@aol.com

TREASURER

Mr David Snape   Tel.   01672 861267   Email.  davidwsnape@aol.com

SECRETARY

Mrs Lynne Williams Tel.  01672   861511     Email  lynne.williams55@gmail.com


SERVICES

Regular services are held in the church as follows:

Second Sunday of the month: 8.00 am   Prayer Book Communion

Fourth Sunday of the month::  6.00m     Evening Prayer

On the third Sunday of the month a Benefice Communion Service is held at 10.30am in one of the Benefice churches on a rotational basis.


FUTURE SPECIAL SERVICES

HISTORY

East Kennett has been a small agricultural settlement since prehistoric times: Neolithic and bronze age sites of major importance lie adjacent to the village. in medieval and modern times the population has never been large; in 1801 there were 102 inhabitants, but for most of the present century there have seldom been more than 50. This small population is reflected in the size of the church. The little Victorian spire dominates the village, which is tucked into a fold of the downs beside the river Kennet. The best view is that from the top of Overton Hill to the south-east, with Silbury Hill beyond and the unexcavated neolithic  East Kennett long barrow, surmounted by trees, above

The Ridge Way runs through the village and it is possible that the north-east corner of the parish, where the track crosses the river Kennet, may have been the site of the Danish defeat at the battle of 'Cynete' in 1006.

There was a church on the same site as the present one in the 12th century, which was appropriated in 1383 by St Margaret's Priory in Marlborough. After the Dissolution the possessions of the priory were settled on Anne of Cleves in 1539 and on Catherine Howard in 1541. In 1553 a further royal grant of the manor was made to William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke, who succeeded in appropriating several estates in the area.

more detail to follow